Great Swiss Express Adventure
Enjoy our exclusive offer: ExpressTop2 gives you the best express connections in Switzerland. The tour features the Voralpen-Express and the Bernina Express.
From Arth-Goldau, your journey takes you through the new Gotthard Base Tunnel to get you to Lugano even faster.
Day 1: St.Gallen–Lugano, Voralpen-Express & new Gotthard Base Tunnel
Your holiday trip begins when you arrive in St. Gallen, the metropolis of Eastern Switzerland. When you get there, you should visit the Abbey Precincts – a UNESCO World Heritage Site – and its centrepiece, the Abbey Library, one of the oldest and most beautiful institutions of its kind in the world. Travelling on board the first-class Voralpen-Express panorama coach, you'll be crossing Switzerland's highest railway viaduct (99 metres) only a few kilometres after leaving the station. Passing through the pristine hills of Appenzell and across the upland moors of Rothenthurm, you reach Arth-Goldau. Thanks to the new 57 km long Gotthard Base Tunnel, the longest railway tunnel in the world, you will soon reach the shores of Lake Lugano.
Highlights Day 1
- UNESCO World Heritage Site: Abbey Precincts St. Gallen
- Rail travel on the Voralpen-Express in first class
- Sitter Viaduct (at 99 metres, Switzerland's highest railway bridge)
- World’s longest railway tunnel
- Lakeside promenade in Lugano
Day 2: Lugano–Tirano–St. Moritz, Bernina Express
day of climatic contrasts. A special bus whisks you past Mediterranean-like Lake Como into Italy’s Valtellina valley. On this stretch of the journey you will see numerous vineyards until you reach the starting point of the Bernina Express in Tirano. The famous Brusio Circular Viaduct is the first highlight on this leg of your journey. The train effortlessly and sedately scales the heights, metre by metre. Regardless of whether you are sitting on the right or left of the train, the views are breathtaking. Ospizio Bernina at 2253 metres above sea level marks the highest point of the trip and the start of a climate completely different from the one you experienced a few hours before. Cast your eyes up to the Piz Bernina (4049 metres above sea level), before journeying on to St. Moritz. You will soon cross the "Rhaetian Railway in the Albula/Bernina Landscapes" UNESCO World Heritage Site. The beauty of the Landwasser Viaduct will take your breath away. You then pass through the wild Schin Gorge and travel on to Chur, capital of Canton Graubünden. From Chur, the oldest town in Switzerland, you'll embark upon your journey home full of wonderful holiday memories!
Highlights Day 2
- RhB Brusio Circular Viaduct
- Alp Grüm on the trip on the Bernina Express
- Morteratsch Glacier with Piz Bernina (elevation: 4 049 m)
- Albula spiral tunnel
- Landwasser Viaduct
3-star hotel: Continental Park
4-star hotel: City
Price includes the following:
- Overnight stay in Lugano in the selected category incl. breakfast
- Journey by train (second class) from your home in Switzerland to St. Gallen
- First-class travel on the Voralpen-Express from St. Gallen to Arth-Goldau
- Rail travel Arth-Goldau − Lugano and Tirano − Chur in second class
- Bernina-Extrabus: bus travel between Lugano and Tirano including seat reservations
- Seat reservation on the Bernina Express
- Journey by train (second class) from Chur to your home in Switzerland
Valid from 2 April to 28 October 2018.
|Price per person (all prices in Swiss francs)||double room||single room|
|3-star hotel||CHF 314.–*||CHF 347.–*|
|4-star hotel||CHF 362.–*||CHF 390.–*|
|*based on Half-Fare Travelcard, 2nd class|
|1st class with Half-Fare travelcard||+ CHF 97.–|
Information concerning supplements and reductions on request.
Contact the Südostbahn reservations desk for details (+41 58 580 78 71 or info(at)voralpen-express.ch).